Saturday, October 24, 2009

dapper doxie wear: bowtie and collar

Part of the fun in going to thrift stores is finding inexpensive, well made stuff that I can hack up without guilt or remorse. Got an idea? Let's go to the thrift store and make it a reality for five bucks or less.

Today's dapper bowtie and collar project sprouted from my desire to give Baxter a dressed up look that he could tolerate for more than two minutes. Which pretty much means nothing with ill-fitting sleeves and nothing that would restrict his movement. And even though the Liberace Bingley look meets the criteria, it does have its bi-retro moments. I wanted something more respectably cute and classic for my little buddy. Something youthful, yet something he could grow into. Something he could use to go to church, host a tv news show, and then finally run for office.

Enter the men's and boys' section of my local goodwill. From the men's section, I found a fabulous red silk Lands' End bowtie, and then I wandered over to the boys' section to score a cool french blue oxford shirt. I should mention I don't know much about kids shirt sizing, but Baxter's neck is roughly 12" in diameter and this shirt was sized 12. I don't think it was a coincidence. Four-ish bucks later, I left with all I needed for my project.

Now, don't blink or you'll miss out on the the how tos for this project. Take a seam ripper and remove the collar from the shirt. Button the collar on your pup, tie the bowtie and voila, instant dapper doxie. What's that? Got a doxette? Try a nice rounded peter pan collar and raid the jewelry counter for a nice strand of beads or a fabulous brooch. Que guapo Y bonita!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baxter looks ready for the school dance. Tulip is impressed! The peter pan collar sounds like such a CUTE idea especially with a brooch. I'm creatively stunted though. I don't think it could be simple enough for me to do it.

chloejessica said...

Baxter looks so handsome!!! Thanks for our mail surprise! I will have to take a picture of Chloe soon with it on! And I will bring cards with me now to promote her pretty harness! :)

Taffy said...

Baxter, can I be your first guest when you host a tv news show?

Will you tell your Mom thanks for the info on the You Tube upload? The problem I am having is that I spliced 3 videos together and when I load it to YT it only load the first part. The video is best with all the bestest parts of the begging. I can't figure it out. Any ideas there?