Wednesday, February 24, 2010

pack contribution

Ever since Baxter's HGE and - ahem - baby bunny incidents, I like to keep an eye on the little kielbasa when he's out and about in the backyard, rooting around and following all the wonderful scents that mother nature has put out for him to investigate. Watching him, I figure, is much better than dealing with the alternative.

But yesterday it seemed there was one distraction after another when it came time for Baxter's evening hunt. Dana, asking me questions about what he could dig up and take home with him, the fragrant olive and hydrangea and bushes that needed a trim, the sweet neighbor girls who asked for "oh, a hundred" of the dried brown wisps of hydrangea blossoms that I was snipping and tossing into the compost pile. Had it not been for all these distractions and more, I might have noticed that the jingling of tiny chumley's collar had gone silent, and silence is almost always a harbinger of something I'd rather not deal with.

Finally, I caught a glimpse of my blaze orange attired friend trotting toward me with something in his mouth. Hm. I was too focused to realize what this might mean, and kept raking.

Tiny chumley finally arrived and stood beside me. I heard a thud at my feet that stopped me in my tracks. Uh-oh. Baxter placed whatever he had in his mouth onto the ground and the thud certainly indicated that it was not a twig or a pinecone or even a stone.

Fearing a gruesome sight and wanting to buy some time to muster up the courage I might need, I rewound in my head what I thought I saw, but that didn't help. Whatever it was, it was big enough to protrude out of both sides of his mouth. And the only other things in our yard that would be big enough for that had either two or four legs and at least up til recently maybe, a heartbeat.

I took a giant breath and looked down at my gently tail wagging friend. To my relief, little kielbasa had found an old twist of rawhide that he must have snitched thru the fence from his basset barking buddies, Bridget and Gracie.

Pride filled my little friend's body as he nudged his treasure my way. "This is for my pack, for us to eat!" his eyes told me. And then he trundled off in search of more. Our boy, growing up, one contribution at a time.

13 comments:

Jiorji said...

haha too funny. So how did you cook up that rawhide for dinner? looks tasty. ;)

Anonymous said...

Whew!

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

AWWWW... sharing the joy

Alicia said...

Hey, that is a handsome piece of rawhide! Oskar usually finds the blackened (and I'm not talking Cajun) and partially decayed pieces under the shrubs and mulch. Yech!

Did you serve it al dente?

Anonymous said...

I recently stumbled across your blog....and your little guy looks so much like my Ammo...reminds me of him too. I know that feeling of OMG what do you have all too well.

Here's some photos of my furry little foot-long:-) http://trickponies.wordpress.com/2010/02/20/fun-with-ammo/

kalyxcorn said...

mmmm, there's nothing like old moldy rawhide casserole, is there? i "saved" it in a certain container that the big white truck seems to take away every Friday. now Baxter will have a real axe to grind with that thing!

oh i LOVe ammo! thanks for sharing!!! one of these days I want to put out a feeler for folks wanting to post to a doxie twinsies wall. good luck with class - one of the things that really helped with the kielbasa is to reinforce training at meal times. don't just put a bowl down, but rather use the time nad food to work with him. the benefits were double duty - he's gonna be pretty hungry and therefore motivated, and i was able to manage his overall calorie intake so he didn't get super chubbers with the extra training treats typically required.

Sandra said...

You do so much for your pack. I hope they appreciate it. Some day I would like to make a nice lizard and grass salad for my mom and dad. I think they would really enjoy it, right?

Alven

Anonymous said...

Way to go Baxter! Go for the squirrel next! We assure you it will make your mom yell!
ha ha, kate & allie

Erin said...

Pompei was dissapointed that was something "good" he was hoping for a mouse, or vole like he found the other day. lucky you that he brings it too you Bubbles & Texas normally try to eat their finds. *gags* :))

Lorenza said...

Haa! Good one, Baxter!
I hope you all had a fest with that rawhide!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Anonymous said...

This is so true...doxies want to please so much...as long as it meets their agenda. I am so in love with this blog and B. He is so beautiful!

Allison Schubert

Marene and Ali said...

What I wouldn't give for those dried Hydrangea blossoms. Of course we can't grow Hydrangea in AZ. When we moved out here I carefully packed what I had in a vase in a big box that came across country, carried carefully in the car, only to arrive shaken and naked. I have always had a huge vase of those in the house. Love all the natural dried stuff.

kalyxcorn said...

aw! wish I could send u some! of course I have never been able to do the martha stewarty dried ones with all their color and perfection - these dried naturally and are a husky brown. but still pretty cool and a delight for little 3 and 5 year olds!

I am wondering if Baxter is going to continue contributing to the pack. He was a tad disappointed that he didn't get to share in the spoils of war.

Hi allison! thanks for the kinds words :)