Thursday, February 25, 2010

dressed in black

Today I am off on a week long journey to visit family and attend a memorial service for my Uncle Ed. What a contrast, it seems, from just a few days ago, when I was hammering away at copper sheets and learning how to enamel, staying awake late into the night dreaming up ideas rather than dreaming in my sleep.

Black is a color that has gradually drained out of my closet as I have gotten older and wiser about what works with my aging appearance. Black used to be a color I sought out in my youth, thinking it gave me instant credibility and coolness that deep down, I guess I felt I sorely lacked. It wasn't til I met my friend Robin that I considered color as an asset, appreciated the depths of greens and reds and purples and even pinks and oranges, and worked the color wheel in my head to vibrant advantage. I didn't miss black, but here I am, required to bring it back into my life. One visit to Kohl's and one thrift store trip later, I am pretty much prepared as I ever will be for the need to wear black this time of year.

Tiny chumley quietly slept and played while I spent yesterday transforming my thrift store find, a men's cashmere crew neck pullover, into a velvet trimmed ruched collar cardigan. A fine diversion, while I finish one last thing, so I can dress in black.



ps - who knows what my ability to access the internet will be these next seven days, so Big boyfriend will be managing the posts I've prepared. Happy tails!

5 comments:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Unbelievable transformation!! You are truly creative!!

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Will keep you in our prayers- tough times are never easy. Thankfully, your creative side gives your grief an outlet.

Bludog said...

Enjoy the time with your family - that's what Uncle Ed probably would have wanted.

We'll miss you and look forward to your absentia posts. Perhaps it will actually be spring when you get back home!

Regarding black - yes, I think there was a reason why "old crones" were always dressed in black. Once you get past a certain age, a little black in your outfit goes a long way...

Sandra said...

You did such a beautiful job. Baxter looks like he agrees.

Lorenza said...

Your mom did a pawesome job with her outfit!
We wish her a safe trip.
Take care
Lorenza