Sunday, March 7, 2010

he ain't heavy, he's my dachshund

The power of observation. There are a lot of things in this world that I see, but don't really notice. Too many things for my tiny brain to process. And so I go about, assuming that most things are the way I want or expect them to be.

Uncle Ed's memorial service opened my eyes to aspects of my uncle's life that I never experienced, that I never knew. I questioned whether or not I should feel remorse about that, til I realized how much we seemed to have in common. Beneath the hard candy shrouds of silence we both kept around us when we occasionally were in each other's company were the tootsie roll centers that we freely shared with others in our life. Something, I would guess, we both would not have expected of each other.

I came home to face another reality that didn't quite fit into my everyday expectations about life. Boy, I've thought lately when I pick him up to take him up and down the stairs, did tiny chumley just drink a lot of water? And what's up with chumley buggin me after his meals, like he wants more food? And how'd his neck get so bunchy lookin? And then yesterday morning I finally see this.

Yep, a dimple, caused by plumpy goodness on either side of his tushie. Cold hard evidence that tiny chumley had been happily feasting from accidental over-feeding while I was gone. A extra scoop of food per day for his morning tummy acid fix, that otherwise should have been deducted from little kielbasa's midmorning meal had I remembered to tell Big Boyfriend about it. Translating into two pounds of pure flubbery energy, conveniently stored in his badonkadonk.

I get the feeling Tiny Chumley's gonna be sorely disappointed that his world isn't going to be as he expects it for the next few weeks. A bit less food, more exercise. No rawhide. Tough times for a little doggie, but so worth it come swimsuit season.

10 comments:

Stacey said...

ROTFL! They do chunk up quickly, don't they?

Rowdy and Bette said...

Uh oh, Baxter "got back!" Maggie likes big butts and she cannot lie...

Bludog said...

On Friday, Molly knocked a bag off of one of the kitchen chairs to allow herself access to a bag of gourmet carmel corn. As is her modus operandi, she dragged it onto the large dogbed, opened it and refused to share with the big dogs. She puts such a fear into them that they won't approach her treasure even when she's too full to eat any more.

You should have seen the belly! She's gone from Rubenesque to Botero-esque! She's on short rations right now and thinks she's starving.

Remind me to tell you sometime about the year that she got the Halloween candy - mini boxes of Milk Duds, meticulously opened and their contents consumed. I had to buy a new couch after that episode...

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

In my house we call it... winter weight. I'm just sayin'.

kalyxcorn said...

yep, just like ballpark franks, only they plump without cookin!

ooh, maggie likes da big badonky donk? maybe I should convonce mom that i can stay this way!

that molly! i love hearing about her stories!! wish i could have helped her, but i have a feelin i woulda been hidin out, stayin clear o da big doggies!

ooh, winter weight. yesh, dat's me. :)

3 doxies said...

Oh my gosh, I needed this post. My uncle just passed last Sat. He was a very distinguised man in our state and community. It wasn't until his service and newspaper articles that I "met" this side of him. I just knew him as my uncle. I never realized the impact he had on other people's lives.
Little Baxter needs a diet...haha! Albert is ALWAYS on a diet. He was paralyzed 2 yrs ago so we have to be real carefull about his weight gain and too he has gotten lazy in the winter....except when the quarry is out.
Allison Schubert

kalyxcorn said...

sorry to hear about your uncle, but glad to have been there. :) albert sounds like a fun fella - have I seen his picture yet?

Lorenza said...

Oh-oh!
Baxter! I am sorry you have to be on a diet! It is not funny... I know that!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Agnes B. Bullock said...

Chasing squirrels will melt that love handle right off

Ruby and Penny said...

Baxter, we like your full badonkadonk. It is rather enticing.
Love Ruby & Penny