Wednesday, September 15, 2010

dapper doxie duds: island boy and kona bryant





Meet Kona. Kona is a bright eyed piebald doxie whose mom contacted me about a dapper doxie dud. Something better fitting than what he has now, maybe with a little hint of Hawaii, and Lakers and maybe it could coordinate with Kona's red print collar?

Hmmmm, I started to wonder. Any two of the three criteria possibly, but all three in one dud? How is that ever gonna work? I sweated for a bit while we pursued the fit model work, then felt a rush of excitement when I saw the wall of batiks at the fabric store. Maybe they'd have a little something in purple and gold, hopefully a masculine print that in a shade that would also still work with Kona's coloring. And there it was, an islandy batik of toasted golden trees on a background of plum. Lakers colors, turned rich by the setting sun. Things really fell into place when I scored a coordinating necktie, and thus was born the Island Boy dud. Something I am sure any Hawaiian surfer dude Lakers fan would be happy to wear to an evening luau, embellished with the tiny treasure of an etched fish print copper tag I made just yesterday, and sewn on with just a bit of red thread to complement Kona's collar. Oh yeah, this totally hits all three marks, so I'm done, right?



But I had an idea for a Lakers dud that burned a hole in my brain. I just HAD to try it out. Something cool, whose success wouldn't rely on regular ol preprinted licensed Lakers fabric. Something special, with all the detailed piping and seaming and all the proper athletic fabric. Oh yes, if Kona and his dad wanted to walk with their heads held high on game day then it could only mean one thing as far as Kona's duds were concerned. The official Kona Bryant jersey dud!







geez mom, u mean this wasn't a baxter bryant dud??

No, baby dog. But tomorrow is another day! :)

15 comments:

Jeanne said...

Those are both soooo cool, especially the Kobe Bryant jersey dud! And I'm not even a Lakers fan!

Hannalei said...

Ok so I'm not a basket ball fan but as soon as you make a Halo style Harness I am SO on it like a fly ......... I wont type the rest. I wish I just had a portion of your amazing ways with the machine! :)

kalyxcorn said...

hee - I don't even watch sports but might just now to see more costumes - um, duds - i mean uniforms!! :)

Halo? like the viddy game? I'm tryin to think what they even look like... :)

Hannalei said...

Oh yesh .. Halo the video game. take a peek under my FB Halo album ... it's how my hubby and I met ( I know I know .. so not traditional hehe )

M.A said...

Oh.em.gee!! We're both giddy under the Hawaiian moon!!! We love we love we love!!! BOTH!!! Pretty impressive!!! Kona's dad just about died when he saw the Kona Bryant jersey!!! We'll be home Friday, even though we're sad about leaving the place where our hearts belong, we are looking forward to seeing the little ween, and now receiving two wonderful duds!!! We are so beyond impressed!!!

Anonymous said...

Kona, when Annie saw your picture, she barked hubba bubba! She loves piebalds! Seriously, though- the duds are FANTASTIC- if the Royals ever decide to stop embarrassing KC, she'll need a jersy, too!

Anonymous said...

Totally, totally over the top! Awesome, Lakers dud is fan-tas-tic attire for game day! ha ha.
We should catch up, Kate & Allie

Bludog said...

Not a fan of Kobe Bryant at all ... but I AM now a HUGE fan of Kona Bryant!!! Them's some classy duds, and I bet Baxter enjoyed modeling something that wasn't lace and sparkles for a change ;-)

HH and The Boys said...

I love the batik fabric, and the dogs are so good about modeling. Great photographs.... Never heard of a doxie who played b-ball... but there's a first and he's outfitted for it. Great look..

kalyxcorn said...

wheeeee! i can't wait for Kona to wear them!! very safe travels, mary anne!! :)

hee hee - kona is a very handsome dude, isn't he? and that's comin from me, though I am very confident in my mandogulinity so i can say that! mom says any time on the royals - but u gotta tell her cuz she so doesn't watch sports!!

oooh hi kate n allie! we can't make MADP this year, boo hoo. how r u doing??

yes blu dog, it was very nice being dressed up as a boy dog for a change, but u know, kibble is kibble so hey, if u want me to wear a hula skirt, i'll wear a hula skirt!

hi max the quilt cat! hey did u ever see my buddy kitty sammy?

Kerri said...

Bludog, I feel the same way about Kobe.

But that DDD makes me very excited to someday have another doxie who can sport a Marshall Thundering Herd or Carolina Hurricanes DDD jersey!

sio said...

Now - I could see a Michael Jordan (#23) DDD for my guys! On hot days they walk with their tongues hanging out to the side just like MJ did!! Hmmm -- real men wear red (as the Bulls motto was back then!)

Lorenza said...

Yes!
Both of them are pawesome!
I know they are going to love them!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

kalyxcorn said...

hee hee, it was definitely a nice exercise for my sewing brain. anyone who wants an athletic jersey dud just drop me a line so I can keep an eye out for the dud fabric colors and start a list of numbers! the more the merrier - the number people
charge through the nose for shipping (five bucks for something they ALWAYS end up dropping in a 44 cent stamped envelope).

alexa said...

Where do u buy it?