Tuesday, May 1, 2012

where there's a will, there's a dachshund

There aren't many things I'd say the little kielbasa misses about being in the pokey, except for maybe the one thing that now motivates him every morning to be my noisy little under the desk foot warmer.

moooooom, he'll gently whine like a slow leaking air mattress,  sometimes even putting a paw on my foot for extra emphasis, whhhhy isn't it tiiiiiiime for lunchhhh yeeeeet?

"Hush baby dog," I'll tell him as I rub his furry little head and comfort him, "lunch will be here soon enough and leaking air isn't going to make it come any faster."

Quiet, for all of 30 seconds before the leaking begins again. mooooom, whyyyyy caaaan't lunchhh be nooooooow?

"Ba-by doogg," I'll say with what I think to be the singsongy voice of authority.  "Enough alreadeeeee"

moooo-oo-ooom!, he'll leak back, putting his head on my foot so he'll be sure to know if I decide to move elsewhere.

 "Baby doggg" moo-oo-oom! "Baby dooggg!" moo-o-ooom!"Bay-bee doooggg!" mooooo-ooo-om!...

I'm not sure I can tell you how long this back and forth lasts without thoroughly embarrassing myself, but so far, I've been able to outlast the little kielbasa's willful leaking til sure enough, eventually there is silence. But oddly, lunch seems to be getting earlier and earlier these days.... :)

12 comments:

Lovable Lily said...

Lunch?? Did someone say lunch?? Yummy~yummo Baxter!! Please tell us what you are having for lunch today.

Hugs,
Lily Belle

Bludog said...

Every morning, Molly gets to finish off my cereal (mostly milk). While I am trying to eat and read the paper, she sits under me groaning - as if in immediate and terrible pain. And, she eats her breakfast right before I have mine, so it's not like she's even hungry at that point. They are wonderful manipulators when it comes to food, aren't they?!

Anonymous said...

Baxter - consider yourself lucky. The boys don't get lunch (just breakfast and dinner). Although dinner sometimes comes at 3pm! The sound of 3 dachsies whining can just be too much sometimes.

Siol

Lacey said...

Oh my, this sounds awfully familiar. One of our dogs does the same whine, so annoying. She starts an hour before my alarm clock every morning.

Nancy D said...

This is known as the "Weiner Whiner" syndrome. It is believed that all persons that have been associated with a short legged, long body, hound dog have witnessed this. It is usually connected somehow with food. Some actually speculate that the little hounds have a timer in their heads that remind them to start about an hour before feeding time.

Cassie said...

Tucker does the same thing..... oh my word. That REALLY high pitched whine starting anywhere from 10 to 60 minutes before dinner time. LOL I guess there's comfort in numbers? LOL

Whit said...

Milo's got this syndrome, too! Not exclusive to food though...he "comes down" with this also when he just feels that my attention is needed elsewhere (like on HIM, and not whatever I'm doing, like reading a book or checking email).
My uncle has succumbed to the syndrome with the dachshund at his house, now he gets dinner around 2 or 3 in the afternoon!

Lorenza said...

I know how is that!!!
It does not work with my mom.... but with my grandma.... I always get my lunch at the time I want it!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Alicia said...

Yeah, this is typical wiener dog whine stuff. We say that Oskar is "pressurizing". Other times he just resorts to the "sharp bark" technique when he has had it with our slow response to his immediate need, whatever that might be!

Anonymous said...

Nelli does this when she wants my attention, not when she is hungry. And oh boy how it can be annoying.

HH and The Boys said...

The boys do the same thing, only they sit on the desk and stare holes in HH while she works... They definitely are trying to move up their meal time too. Good luck there, Baxter. It's not working very well over here.

pawhugs, Max

kalyxcorn said...

hee hee well lily belle, i had yummy kibble, two cherry tomatoes, and a big juicy strawberry!!! yep it was delicious!!

miss bludog, molly is so luckee!

well miss siol, me only get a snackie in the morning and then lunch and dinner so technically it is still only two meals a day. and believe me, my tummy knows it.

hee hee miss lacey, u know that is why mom decided when i came to live with her and dad that i would get fed an early lunch instead bcuz kep and padua did that all the time and they would want 2 wake up earlier and earlier for breakfast. i say, what's wrong with that??

hee hee i like that miss nancy d. wiener whiner!

miss cassie, maybe if we all did it at the same time, it would shower snackies!!

what??? miss whit, 2 in the afternoon for dinner? oh me so gotta work on my wiener whine!!!

hee hee grandmas are the best aren't they lorenza?

oh i bark too miss alicia. but me get so frustated when it does not work. maybe mom does not hear too well.

hee hee, it is good to see that we doxies speak all the same language, pretty nelli!

ha and cats too! though really max i do not see how u could be hungry when u kitties make those delicious thigns u are always burying in that box of yours. i could eat those all day!! :)